Re: [OT] Zip file browsing tool

Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:19:59 -0500
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 07:03:26PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
If you happen to be using GNOME (God's own DE), then file-roller
will do just fine.  Simply fire up Nautilus and click on the zip
file.  But Dotan is correct: it also take *time*.  So while it's
plowing thru the zip file, relax, get a cup of steaming hot coffee,
and scald the face of the idiot who created an 18GB zip file...

Assuming that the person intended to send that much data (pictures) via
the network, and that the person can't create a tarball, what's the
problem with an 18GB zip file?  Its dos's version of a tarball.

iso files aren't compressed.  When downloading a new OS CD, I wish they
were gzipped; would save a bunch of telephone time.
Doug.

The main reason was data migration and backup. The family member created a bunch of archives and then reformatted the HD, re-installed the OS and unzipped all the archives. Everything worked fine except for this specific one.

I hope it is just a bug is Mac OS X Leopard's unzip tool..

I have not read all the way through this thread yet, so if this was posted, forgive me. Sometimes when you use winzip to compress files, you can not unzip them in Linux (at least I can't). It seems to be related to giving it a password (in my limited expereance). I have had zip files (from work mates, sent from work, made in windows, using a password (to keep IT off of it?) I could not uncompress in Linux. I had to use windows, then transfer the files back to myself on Linux. Perhaps this is the problem?

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com