Re: [OT] Zip file browsing tool

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 07:43:36PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 01:50:52PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > And also, is there a tool to browse zip files...like how midnight
> > commander is able to browse tar.gz files without decompressing them.
> > From there on, I can just copy the most important files out without
> > having to decompress the entire thing.
> MC does decompress the file to $TMP/mc-[user]/

What follows might be wrong due to my poor undertanding of perl files
in /usr/share/mc/extfs/ but to the best of my undertanding:

to browse .tar.{bz2,gz,z} files mc completely uncompresses them (tar
files do not have a "global index" in a fixed place). But not to browse
zip files: mc obtains the list without a "full decompression"  and then
decompresses only individual files when same operation is performed on
them. So generally much less free space in /tmp/ is needed