Re: Replacing old kernel in testing

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
>  I have just installed a new testing system on my new ThinkPad T61p.
>  Sound doesn't work, which is apparently a known issue with kernel
>  2.6.22.  The last stable kernel at kernel.org is 2.6.24.3, and I've
>  read that this sound problem has been corrected.  Is there any reason,
>  as I tend to compile a custom kernel anyway (the Debian way), not to
>  download the source from kernel.org and compile.  Or do I lose
>  something by going out of the official distribution?

I did it - I can always revert to the distribution kernel once it's
updated - and my sound now works.  I had to recompile the Nvidia
driver, which meant that I had to compile and install not only the
kernel image, but also the kernel headers, which are needed to compile
the Nvidia driver.  But that's pretty easy (make-kpkg kernel_headers).

Patrick