Re: latest on debian gnome accessibility attempt

Hi Jude. It looks like Florian's got you going the right direction on
the Xorg logs...

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 08:08:25AM -0600, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> What I wrote earlier turns out to have been incorrect so I've copied the
> error message gdm throws when the system tries to set it up.  It looks as
> if /etc/init.d/rc has a problem with a package priority but I can't be
> sure.

> /etc/init.d/rc: line 208: /etc/rc2.d/S30gdm: Permission denied

The system is trying to run gdm but can't because you removed the
execute permisions from the gdm startup script. To make this error go
away, do this as root:

update-rc.d -f gdm remove

that will remove all the gdm symlinks so that it won't even try to
run.

Then if you find the startx solution is working for you, you could
probably just uninstall gdm altogether. In your situation, I'd
probably recommend this as any time you do an upgrade that includes
gdm, those symlinks will get recreated... very annoying.