Re: Best Distro for the consumers market ??

Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> On 28 Feb at 14:52 Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote
> in message <[🔎] fq6hrn$e54$1@ger.gmane.org>
>
>>[snip]
>> In your case, I would go with either Debian Stable or Ubuntu. Why Debian
>> Stable? Because Debian stable is very reliable, stable and never crashes.
>
> Oh, yes it does :(

Ok. May be I should have said Debian stable is very reliable, stable and
never crashes on my hardware.

> As a recent convert from Mandriva, I was disappointed to find that it
> crashed every Sunday morning; nothing in any log file.
>
> Turns out to be bug #327355, unresolved for 2.5 years, in ide-tape, which
> was being called from Amanda after doing the weekly backup.

Sorry about that. I have looked at the bug but can't help you much as I can
neither run that kernel (mine is a Pentium processor) nor do I own any IDE
tapes.

>  Moving to ide-scsi (which is deprecated and not available in the
>  stock kernel) overcomes the problem.

No one has mentioned in the bug log of #327355. Why don't you add it there
so that others experiencing that problem will at least have a work around.

> I've raised a new bug report (467291), but no
> response yet.

You opened it on just couple of days ago. I think you need to give the
maintainers more time than that.

> Whilst I like Debian, I'm surprised that the maintainers can let this
> situation prevail. But I guess it's a kernel bug, not specific to Debian.

Right! Upstream bugs are always painful. We should ask the upstream to fix
it rather than making Debian the scapegoat.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/