Re: sound not working

On Saturday 16 February 2008 18:14, Tomoki Taniguchi wrote:
> I need help getting my sound card working on my laptop.
> the sound card was working under windows prior to installing etch,
> so i know the hardware works.
>
> "aplay -l" gives me
> card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel
> 82801DB-ICH4]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 4: Intel ICH -
> IEC958 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - IEC958]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: Modem [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem], device 0: Intel ICH - Modem
> [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem - Modem]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> so it seems the sound card is recognized.
>
> i've checked alsamixer to make sure all the settings are unmuted.
>
> but i still get no sound when i play an mp3 or a video file.
>
> is there anything else i can try?
>
> TIA,
> Tomoki

Hi Tomoki. I don't know if this is any help, but try toggling "M" on the
external amplifier control in alsamixer. This appears to have resolved the
problem for one person, and his sound is now working.

I looked on Google, and this link below suggested it. I'ts in French, and
someone else also suggested blacklisting the snd-intel8x0m module.

http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1528512

If that doesn't work, would you post the output of lsmod | grep snd, and:
cat /proc/asound/cards

Also there is a script from Alsa which when run, will provide usefull output
for your soundcard. Download it from the link below, make it executable, and
run it as user with:
./alsa-info.sh

The output will be uploaded to pastebin, and just post the link to the
pastebin site back to us.

http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh

Which make and model of laptop do you have?

And by the way, which apps were you trying to play MP3's, and video files
with?

All the best.

Nigel.