Re: [OT] dialup modemspeed change

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Andrei Popescu andreimpopescu@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:39:30 +0200
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: [OT] dialup modemspeed change

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:38:14PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I'm going to guess that Telmex is a state-owned utility and not a
> private monopoly?  That would explain the better service right
> there...

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in Romania the telephone company
got a LOT better after being privatised.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Here in the US it seems that the service got lots worse (but more
innovative) with privatisation.  The old phone company ("Ma Bell") provided
great phone service but wasn't terribly motivated to innovate since their
profits were regulated and there was virtually no competition.  The "new"
(post-breakup) phone service creates lots of competition (and with it lots
of new and interesting services) but little motivation for quality service.
In retrospect maybe we should have opted for a hybrid system with basic
service being provided by a regulated utility but custom services being
provided by competitive service providers.  Too late now!
Larry