Re: [OT] Re: What am I missing without mutt?

On Feb 5, 2008 10:33 PM, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:

> > > I come from the dark ages.  For me, it's important that the tools
> > > I use write files that anything can deal with, not just the app
> > > which created them.  Mutt handles any standard form of mail box
> > > format, including on_some_other_server(don't much care how),
> > > aka. imap.
> > >
> > > The guis, in my experience, save in their own format (If you let
> > > them?
> >
> >  That's just not true.
> >
> >  Well, ok, it's *partially* true: Outlook stores mail in a
> >  But Netscape and it's descendants all use mbox as the native format,
>
> As you're well aware :-), Lookout! doesn't count here.
>
> I was thinking tbird.  I recently tried to help a noob slurp in his
> old tbird mails.  Are you saying that data file was mbox?!?  It looked
> binary to me.

Moz et al uses a modified mboxrd format. It shouldn't
look binary, but it might look scary if you looked in the
[folder name].msf file, instead of the plain [folder name]
file.

The msf file is some sort of extra file that Mozilla uses.
It is in the (text) Mork format, which any Mozilla dev will
admit is one of the worst things ever invented (which is
why Mork and several other formats are being
abandoned for sqlite).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers