Re: [OT] dialup modemspeed change

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:29:53AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/03/08 08:57, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >
> > I've changed the physical location of the Sid box and the telephone
> > number that is being used to dial the ISP.
> >
> > Everything else is the same.
> >
> > Now the connection is at a lower speed than before: average 3000 B/s
> > while before it was 4500 B/s.
> >
> > The sound of V92 dialup modem on connecting has changed: it used connect
> > right away, now it makes more additional sounds.
> >
> > Is this due to the quality of the phoneline?
>
> Yes.  Anywhere from the CO to the inside wiring of the building your
> box is in.
>
> > Anybody savvy on dialup lines?

You're probably too far away from the telco's D/A converter to get 56K.
Welcome to dialup-for-the-rest-of-us.

It also can depend on the quality of your modem.  Some modems are more
resistant/tolerant of noise on the line than others.  I use a 3Com (USR)
Courier (NOT sportster).  These V-Everything modems (external serial)
are supposed to be the best in the world.  New, they cost hundreds of
dollars.  I purchased mine off eBay for $50 (+ S/H).

Doug.