Winbind issue

Ok, I am currently try to set up winbind to let me login into my domain controller, which incidently is running Samba 3, and yes, I do know their are unix specific ways of doing this, however as I already have the Samba system in place (I have other Windows clients), I would prefer to just use that.

Anyway when I run the following command:

net join -S timmothy -U root

I get the following error:

Cannot join as standalone machine

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I might add, my computer is connected to a network, I have tested this.

Jamie