Re: [Debian-User] HP print cartidge utilities...

On Jan 27, 2008 11:45 AM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:25:26 -0600
> "Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:

> HPLIP has several tabs, one labelled Tools, where cartridge cleaning,
> alignment and colour calibration can be performed.
>
> If you have a multi-function device (print, scan and fax machine)
> they're supported by HPLIP, too.  There used to be an HPLIP mailing
> list, but they've recently moved to a web forum for support.  It has
> several HP staff there, as it's the official HP support (for Linux)
> forum.

OK, I installed hpijs + hplip, with the whole cups, ahavi and dbus
stuff (this is the part I didn't want), but hey, I wanted hp tools,
:).

Bad news is that hp-info, hp-setup, and hp-toolset don't want to
recognize my HP-680C printer.  So I'm like before.  Weird thing is
that through the cups web interface, I can setup the printer with no
problem under /dev/lp0.  With hp-setup I can get to manually set the
printer, but not to /dev/lp0 as with cups, but to /dev/parport0, and
at the end it indicates it didn't recognize the device.  So pretty
much this HP toolset doesn't seem to recognize my printer, :(.

Has any one experienced these problems for hp-680c?  If cups
recognized the printer smoothly, why not the HP toolset?  In the cups
web interface I didn't find any way to run the HP applications, but I
feel like asking any ways, :), is there a way to run those
applications from the cups web interface, which recognized the printer
with no problem?

Thanks,

--
Javier