Brother laserprinter refuses to print pdfs

Hello,

I've a brother laserprinter (setup as network printer), which works
quite well in general, except that it refuses to print most pdfs.

I'm running debian/unstable with cups as printing backend.

When printing pdfs, regardless whether I try to print from evince, gimp
or invoke lpr directly (from cupsys-bsd), only an errormessage is
printed to the paper:

ERROR NAME;
   typecheck
COMMAND;
   image
OPERAND STACK;

As far as i can tell, other documents are printed just fine.

The only way to print pdfs right now is to first convert them to ps. but
unfortunately pdf2ps seems to have problems with some pdfs, therefore I
don't have any chance to print them.

Is there any way to make my printer print pdfs?

The config in /etc/cups/printers.conf is:

<DefaultPrinter Brother_HL-5270DN>
Info Brother HL-5270DN
Location Flur
DeviceURI lpd://192.168.3.11/