Re: local copy of wikipedia

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:33 +0100, Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to have wikipedia locally on my debian laptop. I tried to google
> about it, but the only useful link I found is
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download
>
> , which does not really explain in details the installation process. Do
> you know a nice HowTo on the topic answering the following questions:

There is a nice how-to at

http://www.pilhokim.com/pilhowiki/index.php?title=EChronicle:Importing_Wikipedia

But be advised that it will take around one or two weeks to insert all
database dumps. I am not sure if you can skip a couple of those dumps in
order to save some space.

The following table gives you a short overview of the disk space you
will need. All this is without images and edit history.

6.9G	./wp_fr_20071203
26G	./wp_en_20071018
4.4G	./wp_it_20071215
3.2G	./wp_nl_20080104
3.0G	./wp_pt_20071116
344M	./wp_tr_20071128
3.7G	./wp_de_20071228
3.2G	./wp_ru_20080104
44M	./wp_sw_20071117
988M	./wp_no_20071127
623M	./wp_zh_20071119
3.2G	./wp_pl_20071129
1.5G	./wp_es_20071202
1.1G	./wp_fi_20080103

> Which way of installing wikipedia would take the least disk space?
> What software I need to install/configure/run to have a local copy with
> the full search functionality?

You will need to install MediaWiki and MySQL.

with kind regards

	Wolodja Wentland