Re: Thinkpad T61 Power Management

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:43:12PM -0800, Thierry San Juan wrote:
> I installed Debian Sid on a new Thinkpad T61, and running into some
> issues in regard to power management:
>
> I am running kernel 2.6.24-1-amd64.

> 2. When running on battery, the Gnome Power Manager applet is unable
> to read the battery status, the message reads: "battery discharge time
> is currently unknown".

So far as I know, this is a problem with the latest kernels changing
their acpi interface. The battery status (and other acpi stuff, I
guess) is being moved over to the sysfs interface from the procfs
interface. Many (most? all?) of the clients programs that read that
data do not look in the right place yet. There are a few bug reports
that mention this, so I would assume it's being worked on.

I use this little gem:

batt_now=$(cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_now)
batt_full=$(cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full)
batt_stat=$(cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/status)" "$(echo\
"scale=2; ($batt_now*100)/$batt_full" | bc)" %"

to get a guess of the battery status on my lappy. This get's piped to
a stdin-reading taskbar (I used xmobar, dzen would work as well, and
maybe others), but that won't integrate into gnome very well, I
imagine.