Re: 2 Network Cards

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 21:54:37 -0500
"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:37:04PM -0800, Raquel wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Doug.  Yes.  The "9"s are place-holders.  I've not been
> > using the second nic because it wasn't needed.  However, now I
> > want to host 2 different SSL hosts using named virtual hosts.
> > So, I need a second IP and I'm dipping into my range of IP
> > numbers.
>
> If they truely are on the same physical pice of wire, why not use
> virtual/aliases.  Eg, instead of eth0 and eth1, you would have eth0
> and eth0:1 or something (never done it, check the man pages).
>
> Doug.

Don't I end up doing the same thing?  I thought of aliasing eth0, but
why?  I have a nic not being used in the machine and running another
wire from my switch to it will give me what I need.  If I alias eth0
to eth0:1 I'd still need to assign eth0:1 another IP number. Right?

--
Raquel
The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.

  --Martin Luther King, Jr.