Re: missing /var/mail

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 12:20:03PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I know that this is pretty useless, but.
>
> I was just reading my mail when the power went out.  There were some
> important mails there.  At the time, they were in /var/mail/dtutty
>
> On reboot, it said that it was replaying the journal (ext3) for /var
> with no errors reported.
>
> After reboot, /var/mail/dtutty is empty (another user's mail is still
> there, the only differece being that they weren't using mutt at the
> time).
>
> There is nothing in lost+found.

Don't know exactly what happened in your case, but I recently had some
corruption in /var/log.  The first hint was that some programs wouldn't run
because /var was read-only.  Typing "mount" revealed all file systems
as rw.  A look at /var/log showed most of it gone.  fsck claimed the
fs was ok and didn't do anything, obviously the superblock marker had
not been reset.  Rebooting caused more problems as a lot of system
software tries to write to /var/log.  It even got to the point of a kernel
panic.  Rebooting the recovery kernel, I ended up in single user mode.
Then, after unmounting /var, I had to do a forced fsck.  Lots of trouble
was reported but in the end the FS was fixed.  Looking at /var/log then,
everything was back.  Ext3 with its journals and all is pretty good!
I had one partial text (log) file in lost+found and later I found I had
to manually fix a few dpkg files and force-uninstall and reinstall some
packages.  I was doing an aptitude upgrade at the time of the problem.

So, try a forced fsck of /var in single-user mode and hopefully it will
bring back your lost directory.

A.