Re: missing /var/mail

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 01:25:59PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Use a storage method that doesn't put all eggs in one basket.

What filesystem doesn't put all the eggs in one basket?  Sure I'm
annoyed that I lost data.  It could have been prevented with:
	2 or 3 UPS (in case one fails at the same time as the power)

	setting up the fetchmail/exim4 so that retreived mail went to
	two boxes (on another pair if UPS) at the same time instead of
	one.

	Other convoluted ways of ensuring HA.

Data that is _on_the_disk_, which has already survived reboots,
shouldn't just vanish after a power failure.  How would a different ext3
journal option address that?

I've got ext3 over LVM over raid1 for the first time.  Over the years
I've had far more (10:1 ratio) ext2/3 errors than I've had hard drive
failures.

Doug.