Re: Setting up Debian on a mobile disk

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:26:59AM +0100, Dan H. wrote:

> Yes, I figured that. But it ain't easy. There's simply no way I can think of
> to make grub install itself on that disk. I have no idea which (hdx,y) to
> use. /dev/sda is flatly refused as it is not a "BIOS" disk. Why can't grub
> simply install itself on /dev/sda if I tell it to? Can't grub list all disk
> partitions in its funny notation so that I can see which one to use? All the
> time of course I'm in imminent danger of hosing the bootloader on my
> built-in disk.
>
> Anyway, I'm really stumped on the bootloader issue now. Do I have to go back
> to LILO? Don't really want to because all those bootloading issues seem
> extremely fishy to me (because I don't understand them), and I don't want to
> have to mess with different bootloaders.
>
> I couldn't find anything in the grub docs that explains how to properly
> specify a target device. The blind guessing approach I've used so far has
> usually resulted in a working grub on a built-in IDE disk after two or three
> attempts.

I found this[0], which about halfway down talks about installing grub on
a usb stick. The procedure should be similar. They copy grub's
"stage1" into <usbdrive>/boot/grub, then invoke the grub shell

#grub
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

and it returns all the partitions that contain that file.

You could also just use tab completion from within grub and see what
comes up:

grub> root (hd<tab><tab>

should give a list of all the drives as grub sees them.

hth