Re: Will using kernel 2.6.24 make my laptop faster?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 06:30:37PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > > Actually one more thing, any benefits to doing this? Besides the geek
> > > satisfaction that all of us get from compiling a new kernel.
> >
> > I think self-compiling kernels is generally overrated. I'd suggest
> > trying pre-packaged kernels from sid first.
> >

> Pre-packaged kernels from sid. Will they work under etch? And how would I do this?

The easiest way is to wait for 2.6.24 to appear in backports.org and to
add that to your sources.list. Instructions are on www.backports.org.

It's also possible to add unstable to your sources.list and to install
the kernel from there. A new kernel generally has very few dependencies.
So this should only pull in few other packages from unstable if any.
If you add unstable to your sources.list and don't want to upgrade to
unstable you have to configure apt to use stable by default with
'APT::Default-Release "stable";' in your apt.conf.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.