Re: Help with FreeNX on Sparc

On 1/31/08, Yi Shi <shiyi1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a Debian Linux 4 running on Sun Ultra 60 machine. I want to install
> FreeNX on it so I can access the desktop remotely. I understand there is no
> binary available for Sparc machines. Could someone send detailed

Have you thought about using other methods for remote desktop access
that are already available in Debian, such as vncserver, vncclient and
(of course) ssh, for remote tasks that don't require a graphical
environment on the remote end?

fox@m206-157:~$ sudo aptitude show vncserver
[sudo] password for dfox:
Package: vncserver
State: not installed
Version: 3.3.7-14
Section: x11
Maintainer: Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 1204k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12), libice6 (>=
1:1.0.0), libsm6, libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-12), libx11-6, libxext6, zlib1g
         (>= 1:1.2.1), perl, xbase-clients, x11-common |
xserver-common, vnc-common (>= 3.3.6-1)
PreDepends: dpkg (>= 1.6.8)
Recommends: xfonts-base
Suggests: vnc-java
Conflicts: vnc, vnc-doc
Replaces: vnc, vnc-doc
Provides: vnc-server, xserver
 VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote
display system which allows you to view a computing `desktop'
 environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from
anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine
 architectures.