Re: /var/archive

On Wednesday 23 January 2008 20:03, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> On 23 Jan at 18:15 Gerard Robin <g.robin3@free.fr> wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20080123181501.GA7303@free.fr>
>
> [snip]
>
> > /var/archives is strange that in my box I have: /var/cache/apt/archives
> > To clean the archives after upgrade you have to do:
>
> Yes, my mistake; it's where you say.
>
> > sudo apt-get clean
>
> Done that - works a treat!
> What is the object of the archive, though?
>

> Thanks very much to all who replied.
>
> Cheers Tony

Hi Tony. I'm on dialup, and it takes some time to download updates. If you
have more than one instance of Debian Etch for example, it's usefull, and
also saves Internet bandwidth in being able to use the already downloaded
packages to update another machine. Normally I copy the archives to a fat32
partition, and can copy them back to the next machine I want to update,
without having to download them all again.

I know that most of the Internet bandwidth is taken up by spam, which is a bit
sick, but no reason for us to keep downloading the same package versions time
after time to upgrade our various machines. As I say I'm on dialup, but I
believe the same applies if you're on broadband. There's no need to join in
with the spammers who abuse the Internet.

Of course it's also usefull if for reason or other you remove a package, then
want to re-install it. You don't have to download it again, as it's already
waiting in the archives.

2¢ worth of how I do stuff.

Nigel.