Re: Absolutely cannot write to USB drive

Dotan Cohen schreef:
> On 09/01/2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>>> feisty@feisty-laptop:~$ groups
>>> feisty adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner netdev
>>> lpadmin powerdev admin
>> Since this is a Feisty Fawn box, and Ubuntu doesn't do everything
>> the same way that Debian does, it might behoove you to ask these
>> questions on the Ubuntu Forums.
>
> I will. I find that technical knowledge is often replaced by MS
> bashing there, but I'll take my chances.
>
>> Anyway, why do you have an entry for it in /etc/fstab?  The Big
>> Desktops will automount any USB drive you plug in.
>
> Because HAL wasn't automounting it, and I could not mount it
> read/write for users. Googling the problem led me to believe that I
> needed an fstab entry. Indeed, I still believe that I do, otherwise it
> gets mounted with the wrong encoding and Hebrew filenames show up as
> ??? or gibberish.
It is strange that hal isn't mounting it. Is hal running properly (try
lshal).
You can mount in userspace using pmount /dev/sdb1. It will then mount
under /media/sdb1 with read-write privileges for the user that mounted
the drive. If you want a user to be able to read-write with a
root-mount, make sure you state the proper rights in the fstab-entry.
Make a group that is allowed to read-write to the device, and add
/dev/sdb1 /media/usb auto rw,users,noauto,gid=xxx,umask=007 0 0
with xxx replaced by the id of that group (or give system wide
read-write privileges by stating umask=000)
As fat doesn't support a proper security-model, you have to specify that
yourself. Else only root can read.
Good luck!

Sjoerd