-bash: no job control in this shell

Hi Gurus!

When I boot my debian sid workstation:

I usually log into tty1 and then run startx. But sometimes i noodle around at the command line,
say to update drivers for X or whatever, run emacs, etc.

I notice right after I initially login to  the pc

the shell says to me (ominously):

-bash: no job control in this shell.

1) I don't know what this means.
2) I don't know what causes it.
3) It bothers me (I dont know why. Just in principle!).
4) So if I really want that job control thingy back, what do I have to do.

I figure it is a left over from some mess up of my . files. But Professor Google
has not clued  me in to know what causes this.

Thanks!
Mitchell