Re: tapes best for backup?

On 01/04/08 10:23, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 09:56:19PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 01/03/08 20:30, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>>> One of the threads over at misc@openbsd.org has gone OT (for them) into
>>> discussing backup media.  The concensus there seems to be that tape
>>> (e.g. DLT) is still the best for long-term storage (e.g. archives)
>> Do "they" even make new DLT 8000 drives anymore?  We are happy with
>> SuperDLT2 drives, but are transitioning to LTO3.
>>
>>> because CD/DVDs fade rather quickly while hard drives get "bit rot" over the
>>> years and since they're not being run frequently you don't see error
>>> messages appearing.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering what people here on DU use.  Lets say the archive size is
>>> 7 GB.  It could fit on one DVD; one(?) or two USB sticks, SD cards, etc;
>> 7GB?  That was a lot in 1992, when DLT-III was king, but now DLT IV
>> is ancient, and 7GB is -- bluntly -- chickenfeed.
>>

> Right.  What about things of great sentimental value?  E.g. family
> photos?  What about financial records?  Sure 7 GB is chickenfeed.  It
> fits on one DVD.  However, to put that on the shelf, what to use to make
> it last?

Chickenfeed is still important... to chickens.

So I wasn't trying to denigrate your 7GB of important data, but to
express that, in today's world, tape would be a radically cost-
inefficient means of storing only 7GB.

[snip]

>> If a reputable archival company like Iron Mountain offers on-line
>> storage, then I'd encrypt it and drop it on their servers.
>
> So how do they store it?  If they're just going to drop it onto a hard
> drive and forget about it, how is that different than me putting it on 2
> hard drives: one on a backup server that runs so that hard drive errors
> show up; one in an external case that gets a fresh backup put on it
> every month or so and goes to the bank's safety deposit box?  Or, if
> they're just going to archive it in a tape library, how is that
> different than me putting it on a tape and putting that in the bank?

Nothing... except expertise.  It's their *job* to monitor the SAN,
replacing failed disks, taking backups, etc.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown