Re: Remove noatun also removes kde?

On Wednesday 2008 December 31 13:39:57 Bob McGowan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 11:03 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Completely normal.  kde Depends on kdeaddons; kdeaddons Depends on
> > noatun-plugins; noatun-plugins Depends on noatun.  Of course, the kde
> > package is not much (if any) more than a "meta-package"; it only exists
> > to pull in other dependencies.  The kdeaddons package is similar.
>
> I to was caught by this "issue" in my early exposure to Debian.  So,
> what's the quickest way to determine if a package is "meta-"?

Description, mainly.  There's other reasons to have an empty or nearly empty
package that exists mostly for it's Depends/Recommends/Suggests.

An alternative / parallel approach is "Tasks" through tasksel or aptitude,
using them might be nicer for new users.

> Would be nice if 'apt-get'/'aptitude' added a note to the item
> indicating it was 'meta' and OK to remove.  The only place I've ever
> noticed this information is in the package description, which means it
> may not be noticed.

Sounds like a job for debtags.  It would be nice to have this as a release
goal for Squeeze, too.  It's something simple that would make running Debian
easier.

*browses the DebTags site a bit*

Well, there's already a tag "role::metapackage", and there's already as number
of packages tagged with it, including kde and kdeaddons.  I guess the next
step is to have apt-get/aptitude show that information when you need it.  You
might file a wishlist bug against apt-get.

Perhaps it's not a good release goal 'cause it's already done. ;)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))