Re: Ext4dev vs. Ext4

Hi,

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:49:56 +0900
"Slim Joe" <slimjoe2k8@gmail.com> wrote:

> Besides the name, what's the difference between ext4dev and ext4?

The status of development I'd guess.

> I'm curious because I'm planning to format a 1TB disk as ext4. It
> appears that the e2fs tools already have support for ext4 (with and
> without -"dev"). The problem is the latest Debian Linux image
> (2.6.26.x) has support only for ext4dev.
>
> So the only way I can use an ext4 filesystem right now is to format
> the hard disk as ext4dev and mount it as ext4dev. Will a subsequent
> kernel upgrade with support for plain ext4 allow me to mount the
> ext4dev-formatted disk as ext4?

I think the answer can be very short:
Even in 2.6.28 ext4 is not recommended for production use. So as long
as you are not 100% sure, what you are doing here, just keep your
system on ext3 or anything else you are currently using. Ext4 inside
2.6.26 was still under developing.

Maybe checking wikipedia at [1] can make things a bit more clear here.

> P.S. My last post.

?

Cheers,
Frank