Re: Which webcam works on Debian Etch?

Csanyi Pal escreveu:
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> writes:
>
>> I'd say no. There are some that work, and some that don't. However, in
>> Etch things will be slightly more difficult than in Lenny.
>>

> How do you mean that

Newer kernel = more hardware supported. (With some very small exceptions.)

You mentioned you run 2.6.24, but uvcvideo, a driver used to access a
lot of webcams, is only integrated with the kernel from version 2.6.26.
That means that you'd have to compile the module yourself. Not really
hard, but not as convenient as having to do nothing. On the other hand,
lenny has a newer kernel which already includes that driver.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br