Re: tcpip stops working after some time

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:16:00 +0200
Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:49:53 -0900
> Ken Irving <fnkci@uaf.edu> wrote:

> It's wierd but it seems at the moment like the MTU has something to do with
> it, and on the local computer, nothing along the way, and it's not too high,
> it actually dropped too low for some strange reason.
>
> It's down at 576. I raised it to 1500 and the link
> is running tcp again. but really comes and goes and every time the link goes
> down the mtu drops again. Don't know if it's wicd or not yet.

It looks like dbus goes crazy at some point and starts setting the mtu to 576
once the connection is made. Killing just about anything possible and setting
the IP by hand makes most sites work, although not all of them for some reason.

fixing the mtu also helps some sites (less than the more drastic option) but
every time it goes down and up (wicd) it is reset.

What can make dbus mess up the network connection? (both ethernet and wireless
if it makes a difference).