Re: How to stop squirrelmail temporarily

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 19:20 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> --- Yuriy Kuznetsov <yuriy.kuznetsov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Try to run the following on on your box and see what processes are
> > listen to
> > those ports:
> >
> > # netstat -lnp
> >
> > Normally these ports are used by imapd - normal and secure
> > connections.

> # netstat -lnp | grep 993
> tcp6       0      0 :::993                  :::*
> LISTEN     2846/couriertcpd
>
> # netstat -lnp | grep 143
> tcp6       0      0 :::143                  :::*
> LISTEN     2834/couriertcpd
>

> Perdition also needs port 993 and 143.  They are taken by courier.

> # /etc/init.d/courier-imap stop
> Stopping Courier IMAP server: imapd.

> # netstat -lnp | grep 993
> tcp6       0      0 :::993                  :::*
> LISTEN     2846/couriertcpd
>

> Why port 993 is still taken by courier?  The latter is NOT running.

The SSL one is. Try:

# /etc/init.d/courier-imapd-ssl stop

Now, on a slightly different topic:

> # ps aux | grep perdition
> root      3114  0.0  2.0   2864   692 pts/2    S+   11:02   0:00 grep
> perdition
>

> # kill -9 692
> -bash: kill: (692) - No such process
>

> # kill -9 2864
> -bash: kill: (2864) - No such process
>

> # kill -9 3114
> -bash: kill: (3114) - No such process

It's a good idea to have a think, and know what you're looking at before
firing off "kill -9" at random numbers.

If you can't remember what column is which (I can't), try something like
this:

$ ps aux|head -n1
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND

Your first attempt is at the RSS - Not a pid. There may have been a
process with that pid, but you killed it, giving it no chance to clean
up after itself.

Your second attempt is at the VSZ - again, not a pid. Again, any process
that may have had that pid is now gone.

Your third attempt is indeed the pid - of the grep command you were
using to find it. It's gone already by the time you tried to kill it.

Also, please don't cc me on list mail.

Richard