Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

On Tuesday 2008 December 23 16:17:29 Ken Heard wrote:
> From this thread I now see three *-upgrade commands mentioned for
> aptitude: dist-upgrade, safe-upgrade and full-upgrade.  Only
> dist-upgrade is mentioned in the aptitude man page and in Debian
> Reference.  Does any Debian documentation refer to these other two
> commands?  (I could not find any.)  If not, why not?

If not, it's probably because the have not been updated to match the aptitude
in Lenny (which is fine, since Lenny isn't out yet).  From Lenny forward the
old "upgrade" is now "safe-upgrade" and the old "dist-upgrade" is
now "full-upgrade".

I suppose these names better fit what the different solvers[1] do.  The full
upgrade may not move you to a new "dist", but it will remove packages in
order to upgrade more packages.  The safe upgrade will avoid removing
packages (most likely cause of breakage) even if that means not upgrading a
package.  That's pretty much always been their behavior, even under their old
names.

[1] Same solver, just different weights for different actions.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))