Re: Making sure eth interfaces are numbered consistently

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:36:12 +0000
Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 11:26:34 -0600, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net)
> wrote:
>
> > On 12/09/08 11:22, Micha Feigin wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> i have 4 network interfaces in my machine all using the e1000e driver.
> >>
> >> Can I be assured that they are all numbered consistently on each boot (i.e
> >> that the same card is always eth0) or if not, is there a way to force it?
> >
> > Yes.  Look in:
> >
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

I tried using this one and it works mostly. The problem is that I start one of
the interfaces at boot to have nfs root enabled and it doesn't seem that this
works to change the name of the already configured interface. Is there a way to
bypass this or is there something wrong with my files?

> One way is with ifrename [1] which is maybe just a convenient front-end
> to Ron's suggestion.

etc is mounted read only (via nfs), and I don't know if that is the cause but
it complains that iftab is missing.