Re: Hypervisor on an existing system?

On Monday 22 December 2008 15:14:06 Ron Johnson wrote:
> I don't know enough about the subject to be able to intelligently
> Google, so I thought I'd ask first.
>
> My system is a fully-kitted out Sid system, and I'd like to
> experiment with virtual machines.
>
> Is this possible, or do I have to start from bare metal?
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA
>
> I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
> rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Ron,

I terms of hypervisors, only Xen will be able to run on your kitted out Sid
box (with out re-installing).  Using xen (not xen-server) you really need to
have a newer cpu for full virtualization and I had a very hard time to get a
vm to boot twice in a row.  I might be slow, but I even have a book or two.
The documentation is sparse, not all up to date.

In terms of VMware, ESXi is free (as in beer, not speach) but only runs on a
very limited hardware set.  In terms of what works with it, google, HCL ESX
whitebox.  I can tell you a Dell inspiron 530 with a intel Pro dekstop gig
nic added works for ESXi.  However, you will need a win box to manage it.

If you get xen working, come over to my house and instruct me!

See package xen-linux-system-

--
Damon L. Chesser, VCP
damon@damtek.com