RE: iPod

[snip]
> on Lenny I asked aptitude about gtkpod and it proposes also the
> installation
> of
>
> faac
> faad
>
> Why encoders?
>
> mp3gain
>
> Is this only modifying mp3's you put in the ipod or is it changing the
> sources
> before transferring songs to an ipod?

Back before I converted my iPod to Rockbox* I had never paid attention
to how I stored my music in relation to what others told me how I should
store my music. I just used the format that was best for me at the time.
I have a method to my madness that makes sense to me, but the short of
it is I have a huge collection of FLAC, OGG, and a very small minority
of MP3's. When I used song managers with my iPod I discovered that they
would auto convert my music into mp3's (at least I don't remember
manually configuring that). Again, I have not used gtkpod or amarok for
iPod related activities in a long time so things may be different, but I
suspect that they are there to do just that. Convert files that the
device would otherwise not recognize.

*I realize that Rockbox is not an option for you at this time. However,
that really was the best thing I ever did with my iPod. I hate iTunes
and back then the iPod under Etch (then testing) wasn't much better. I
have heard it is infinitely better now but Rockbox has been too good to
me to risk switching back.

Anyway, I hope that provided the information you were looking for and
wasn't too much of a rambling story. :-)
Have fun!
~S~