Re: Help - Getting lots of errors from functions and scripts

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 08:09:31 -0600, Dennis Wicks (wix@mgssub.com) wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> When I run anything that is actually a shell script starting with
> #!/bin/sh and maybe any thing that uses a shell function I get five or
> six screens full of messages that look like the following and all start
> with /bin/sh
>
> 	/bin/sh: _openssl: line 25: syntax error near
> 		`unexpected token `('
> 	/bin/sh: _openssl: line 25: ` -@(in|out|oid))'
> 	/bin/sh: error importing function definition for
> 		`_openssl'
> 	/bin/sh: _service: line 4: syntax error in
> 		conditional expression: unexpected token `('
> 	/bin/sh: _service: line 4: syntax error near `@(*'
> 	/bin/sh: _service: line 4: ` [[ ${COMP_WORDS[0]} !=
> @(*init.d/!(functions|~)|service) ]] && return 0;'
>
> One example is  /usr/bin/bashbug
>
> but all scripts that start with  #!/bin/sh
> seem to have the problem.
>
> One function that has the problem is one I wrote that does an ls and
> pipes it to less. As follows;
>
> 	function lm ()
> 		{
>     		ls -laNF "$@" | $(which less)
>     		}
>

> Anybody have any idea about what is causing these errors
> or where to look?

What is the output from

  ls -la /bin/sh

please Dennis?

I think it should be something like:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2008-06-17 21:20 /bin/sh -> bash

and if not, then that could be a starting place.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.