Re: cannot boot after update

Simon Kranz wrote:
Hello,
I run debian etchnhalf 4.0r5a AMD64.
I just installed a new desktop system (std and desktop packages). Since then i have done very little to add to it. Just installed foo2qpdl for my printer and also dvdrip from debian multimedia. Once in gnome i was informed of some new updated packages, so i did the update. However i cannot recall which packages were in there.

Since the update, i now cannot boot into the system anymore. Symptoms are as follows:

<snip>

What do dmesg, syslog, Xorg.0.log say?
Do you use a display manager? If so, use Knoppix to turn it off and boot again, if this is your only partition, that is.

Hugo