Re: kernel help

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 04:20:09PM EST, Daniel Dalton wrote:

[..]

> It's a bit of a pain since the kernel compilation does take a while, but
> I guess I have to do it. So what's the best solution for this?

If you haven't done so already, now may be a good time to go through
your kernel's configuration, read the "help" for each and every option,
and make sure you are not enabling stuff that is not relevant to your
context & desiderata.

Did that a couple of years ago and found that kernel compile elapsed
time was divided by a factor of 4-5!

With nothing major running at the same time, kernel compiles that used
to take over 2 hours now take less than 30 minutes (PIII - 650MHZ and
384M of RAM).

Just make sure you save your .config file so you can start over if you
screw up.

CJ