Re: Difference between Lenny/testing?

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:09:29PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:24:43AM -0800, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> 3) When you start noticing complaints on this list that stable has old
> outdated software that is way behind some other distribution, that is
> much more up to date, consider making a dist-upgrade to testing, but
> use the code name, not the word testing in sources.list. Maybe delay
> doing this until you see complaints about oldness that specifically
> mention features that sound interesting for software that you use.

On my personal boxes, I do this step when the green line drops below the blue
line on this graph:

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

I figure that if testing has fewer RC bugs than stable, it's probably okay for
me to use.  I'm okay building a package from source if I need to fix a bug
though, so I have that advantage.

For my servers, I wait until the next release enters freeze, wait a month or
two, then start testing upgrades.

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator