Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Rick Thomas wrote:
> Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-upgrade
> from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?
>
> I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...
Near-official recommended procedure follows:

1. change distribution in your sources.list to 'lenny' or 'testing' (latter works until
official Lenny release);
2. 'aptitude update'
3. 'aptitude install dpkg apt aptitude'
4. 'aptitude full-upgrade'

If something went bad, don't hesitate to do 'reportbug upgrade-reports'.

You also can use apt-get instead of aptitude, but aptitude is usually more clever than
apt-get.

Regards,
Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor