Re: Cups Sharing Setup Problem

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 16:01:04 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Two debian boxes - one lenny, one etch, each with its own printer  -
> connected to the LAN and can ping each other.
>
> Problem: Etch box can use Lenny box's printer, Lenny Box cannot find or
> stalls trying to use Etch box's printer.
>
> More precisely, if I run lynx localhost:631 on the Lenny box and tell
> cups to find new printers it finds none and if I use cups to add Etch
> box's printer using the correct ipp address it does so but when I try to
> print a test page it stalls with the message:
>
> "recoverable: Network host '192.168.2.105' is busy, will try again in 20
> seconds"
>
> Allowing for the different releases of cups on the two systems I believe
> I have set up the two versions of cupsd.conf consistently.  hosts.allow
> are also consistent.
>
> Any suggestions as to where the problem might lie?

Try

netstat -plant | grep cups

(as root) on the Etch system to see which connections cupsd is actually
listening to.

Run

tcpdump -i eth0 -n -p host 192.168.2.105

on the Lenny box, then try to print the test page again; this should
show you which connections the Lenny system tries to make to the Etch
system and where things hang. (Replace "eth0" if you use another
interface for your internal network.)

Check your cups configuration, i.e. the DeviceURI given in printers.conf
on the Lenny box and the "shared" status of the printer on the Etch
system.

          Florian   |