Re: Wondering why you have IMAP problems - file ownership requirements changed

On 12/16/08 11:42, Alan Chandler wrote:
I would just like to report that I upgraded by server from Etch to Lenny last weekend. I then was in a position where my IMAP server failed to deliver the data. I first saw the problem in squirrelmail, which gave the helpful answer that it could not connect, but I couldn't find any diagnostics,

There was nothing in any logs - syslog reports the imap connection, but no further activity.

Eventually I tryed to connect with mutt and got an error saying there was a permission problem on the imap folders.

Turns out that the policy has changed with respect to maildirs. They used to have user owner, mail group permissions. This has changed with the upgrade (but it didn't upgrade my maildirs during the upgrade) to users owner and group being required. Courier IMAP (which is what I was using) checks this and rejects logins where the ownership is wrong.

I changed all the Maildir files to user owner and group and it all started working.

The reason I raise it here is that there is no warning about this that I could find anywhere despite extensive google searching.

How did you create the Maildirs to begin with?

I ask that because and when I created mine 3+ years ago using maildirmake(1), permissions were ${USER}:${USER}. (I run sid, but etch was still in testing back then, so whatever veresion of courier-base I was using back then eventually migrated into etch.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?