Re: Sid/KDE

> Assuming you really want to:
>
> sed -i -e 's/etch/sid/g;s:/stable:/unstable:g' \
> /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/{.[!.],}* && \
> aptitude update && aptitude install aptitude apt dpkg && \
> aptitude full-upgrade
>
> should do it.

Which, if you're confused by the one-liner, means:

1) Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and any files in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ to replace "etch" with "sid" and "stable"
with "unstable."  This will change the package manager's idea of where
to get packages, and what versions are supposed to be current.

2) Run "aptitude update" to have aptitude download the new list of
"current" software packages.

3) Run "aptitude install aptitude apt dpkg" to install new versions of
the package management system.

4) Run "aptitude full-upgrade" to kick off a system-wide distribution upgrade.

You probably don't want to do this without some preparation and
backup, as things can wind up broken during a dist-upgrade no matter
how careful you are.  Several people (myself included) have had
problems with perl or with locales not upgrading perfectly, leaving
the system in a hampered state.  If you're going to do a distribution
upgrade, you want to make sure you'll have time to fix any such
problems that arise, and resources to help you do so (like a startup
disk in case the box doesn't come up, or a second computer for
googling in case you manage to disable your internet access.)

Don't do this right before bedtime the day before your important
presentation in the morning, or when you have a major project due the
next day, etc.

Good luck!

~Jeff