AMD Turion ZM82: freeze with 2 cores, works with 1 core (maxcpus=1)

Hi all,

I am relatively new to Debian (used Ubuntu before) and have the following problem: Debian Lenny freezes during boot on ASUS X56TR laptop with AMD Turion ZM82 processor. I am currently running the AMD64 installation.

The freeze occurs only when both cores are activated. With kernel parameter "maxcpus=1" (also with "nosmp" or "acpi=off") it boots normally.

I have tested this on the following distributions:
Debian Lenny AMD64 (which I am using now)
Debian Lenny 32bit (-686 kernel; with -486 kernel, the problem is gone, but this only supports 1 kernel as I can see)
Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) 32 bit
Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10) 32 bit and 64 bit
Sidux Ourea Live CD

The problem remains the same everywhere. Just for completeness, the Vista installation which came preinstalled with this machine uses both cores without freezing (but is about three times slower with 2 cores than Debian with 1 ;-))

Kernel:
Linux debian-ps 2.6.26-1-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Nov 26 18:26:02 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

RAM:
4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR2-800

Graphics:
ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

Last screen messages before freeze:
CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0
CPU: Processor Core ID: 1
CPU1: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82 stepping 01
checking TSC synchronization [CPU#0 -> CPU#1]:
Measured <large number> cycles TSC warp between CPUs, turning off TSC
Marking TSC unstable due to check_tsc_sync_source failed
Brought up 2 CPUs
Total of 2 processors activated

Can anyone help?

Patrick