Re: problem with SATA disk, difference between standard kernel and Debian kernel

lee wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:58:30AM -0600, lee wrote:
>
>> I've started a long test, but it says it'll take about two hours. I'll
>> let you know the result.
>
> cat:/home/lee# smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdb
> smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8
> Bruce Allen Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      9160
> #   -
> # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      9158
> #   -
>
> cat:/home/lee#

do you have custom kernel or debian stock kernel. What is standard? Please,
look that you _don't_ use the ide_generic or ata_generic drivers. so kernel
config and lsmod check is worth I think. This we have discussed in other
postings. if compiling your own kernel this could be the issue.
I would also see what hdparm -tT says

I've been trying raid over usb for the last couple of months and had similar
problems with sata drives and no such problems with ide in usb boxes.
Finally no one could explain the reason for the raid loosing the drive and
I attached them directly to SATA bus. So far it's working.

Hope this information helps