Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Anoop Aryal wrote:
> I used to swear by toshiba until 3-4 satallite pros (all bought at
> around the same time) died. right after the warrenty expired. all of 'em
> kinda died at around the same time too - within 1-2 months. I hear
> someone has a howto on how to wave the soldering iron on it to nurse it
> back to health if you are handy with the said piece of hardware.
>
> On one of 'em the hinge broke. After I took it apart to investigate, I
> was disappointed at the quality of it's chasis. This was the top of the
> line series too..
>
> No toshiba for me.
>

> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 00:45 +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
>> linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
>> quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
>> computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
>> screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
>> since it's a working laptop.
>>
>> I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best).  I
>> also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
>> continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series also has a
>> bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
>> ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
>>
>> Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
>> the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
>> the one button issue although the design is nice).
>>
>> Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
>> drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
>> with the synaptic).
>>
>> Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
>>
>> Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
>>
>> Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
>> case of mulfunciton etc.
>>
>> Thanks

I would never part with my T-61 (type 7658 here).  Not a single problem,
everything but wireless works with lenny out of the box..
(firmware-iwlwifi will get it going)

Has a keyboard designed to help out if spilled on.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki with a lot of documentation to
mess with.

Standard battery (4 cell I think) gives me ~3hrs, and you have the
option to replace the optic drive with a battery and/or replace the 4
cell with a 9 cell supposedly gives 8 full hours.

Screen is great, keyboard is spot on best I've ever used.  BIOS has a
lot of options, more than I care to mess with.

I hated the pointing stick or whatever you call it at first but now I
don't know if I could live without it.