Re: OT: laptop recomendations

Micha Feigin wrote:
Hello,

Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is good
computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with the
screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service is a must
since it's a working laptop.

I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at best).  I
also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just about every
continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000 series also has a
bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no experience with the
ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.

Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick with
the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not sure about
the one button issue although the design is nice).

Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at the
drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up to par
with the synaptic).

Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.

Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.

Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
case of mulfunciton etc.

Thanks

I love my Dell XPS. I have a 13.3', but there are versions with larger screens. They can be bought with Ubuntu preinstalled, so you know for sure that Linux works on these systems. Also some Inspirions can be bought with Ubuntu, which saves you a Windows licence.

Sjoerd