Re: problem with SATA disk, difference between standard kernel and Debian kernel

On Wednesday 2008 December 10 16:52:03 lee wrote:
>But I'm wondering how many people have this problem. There are
>probably lots of people with SATA disks, and if most of them had this
>problem, it might have already heen solved. If lots of people have
>SATA disks but don't have this problem, I might get away with getting
>new disks. But maybe lots of people have it and just live with it?

Two WD Raptors connected via SATA to my Tyan motherboard in my desktop since
2005.  No drops.

A varying number of Hitachi drives (both 500G and 1000G) connected via SATA to
my Areca PCI-X controller.  No drops.

If you can find enough people with the same problems and co-ordinate, you
might be able to reduce the amount of effort each of you put forward.  If
time is what it takes to reproduce, that's fine -- just figure out what a
good upper bound is.  Is 1 day long enough without drops long enough to say
the kernel is good? 7 days? 30 days?
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))