Re: problem with SATA disk, difference between standard kernel and Debian kernel

On 12/10/08 16:53, Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:21:26 -0600

On 12/10/08 16:10, Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:05:26 -0600
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:

On Wednesday 2008 December 10 15:15:56 lee wrote:
what's the difference between a standard kernel and a kernel that
comes as a Debian package?
The Debian kernel has some non-free (as in: source not available) parts removed. There are also Debian-specific patches added.
The vanilla kernel has non-free stuff in it?  I thought it's all GPL.
Some drivers have firmware blobs encoded in them as really long byte arrays. They are de jure GPL, but, practically, are closed source.

And Debian removes these, even thought they're technically GPL?  Any
examples?

Not that I know of (since I don't use WiFi or anything exotic).

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?