Re: How do I make my normal account (not root) have administrative (root) privileges?

On Tuesday 09 December 2008, "Brendan West"
<extremeskateboarding@gmail.com> wrote about 'How do I make my normal
account (not root) have administrative (root) privileges?':
>How do I make my normal account (not root) have administrative (root)
>privileges?  I thought that it was set up like that already, but I am
>unable to start some programs under my normal account.  And for some
>reason, I can't log onto the desktop gui as root.  Any ideas?

I agree with the other poster, that you should use explicit commands for
gaining root level privledges.  su and sudo are two ways; you can even set
sudo to no prompt for a password for things you do often.

However, you should have full access if you change your user's uid to 0.

As that point though, your user and root are mostly the same account.  You
might as well just always login as root.  You can change the name of the
root account fairly easily, by edit /etc/passwd (and associated shadow
files).

As for the login issue, what are you using: xdm, gdm, kdm or other?
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))