Re: NFS boot with a dhcpless network

On 12/09/08 15:38, Micha Feigin wrote:
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:14:23 -0600
[snip]
And can't you tell DHCP to associate IP addresses to MAC addresses? So even though OP doesn't want to use DHCP, he'd use it but not for it's usual purpose...

I can't use a dhcp server on this network. These machines are exposed to the
general network which already has a dhcp server and if I add another one I'm
going to cause trouble over the whole network.

Besides a dhcp server with the specific setup is going to be a serious pain.

The machines do have disks which are meant mostly for local user data. The idea
is to have as little as possible in terms of a system on each machine to make
it easier to maintain and keep safe from the users. Looks like the easiest
solution is to have grub and a kernel installed locally on each machine.

The existing dhcp server could point the diskless machines to the machine that has the boot files on it.

Or would that entail too much bureaucracy and/or interference from know-nothing MSCEs?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?