Re: totally crashed workstation

François Cerbelle wrote:

> Check the frequencies (FSB and core) in the BIOS, your Mother Board or CPU
> could be overclocked and become too hot to work.

I will check, but I don't think that's the problem. Everything is at factory
defaults and I can e.g. stress the CPUs without any indication of
overheating. The cooling on the Precision workstations is pretty powerful...

> Look in the SMART information from your disks. If a disk with a SWAP
> partition fails, it might freeze the kernel too.

That's a good point, I will look at the SMART monitoring tools.

> It can also be because of a power weak. Too much power asked by the
> DVD+Disks + Video +... and not enought for the CPU. Often, there is a
> limit, even if the manufacturer says "2 rails".

Probably not. Normally, the system can take all kinds of stress without any
complaint and I think the PSU is actually overrated for the components.
Also, it wasn't under heavy load when it crashed.

Maybe it was a cosmic ray?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Jussi